The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office responded to the following calls.
• An Orcas deputy has been dispatched to a traffic hazard near Eastsound. There was a person directing traffic when the deputy arrived.
• A San Juan MP arrested a motorcyclist for traveling at 58 mph in a posted speed zone of 45 mph. The motorcyclist received speeding tickets; for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle; to not have insurance or registration; and not to have motorcycle approval. The driver also received a warning.
• An Orcas Assistant has been dispatched to report spam in the West Beach area. The person was abducted and transported to Friday Harbor for evaluation.
• A San Juan MP responded to a theft report on Stuart Island. The investigation is ongoing.
• A member of Parliament for Lopez reported an act of vandalism in a parked car.
• A deputy was called to Hummel Lake on Lopez on a report from a possibly distressed boater. An adult with children in a rowboat was observed on the lake, paddling without any apparent difficulty. All were wearing life jackets. No further action was necessary.
• A member of Parliament responded to a citizen dispute in Friday Harbor. One person received a break-in letter and a report was made.
• A resident of Lopez called a deputy after receiving unwanted and inappropriate messages and threats. The assistant took a harassment report and presented the resident with options.
• An Orcas MP responded to an activity report in violation of the governor’s pandemic orders. No crime was discovered.
• An Orcas deputy responded to a call about a possible scam.
• The deputies of San Juan were sent to report a fight. The incident was investigated and turned out to be a verbal argument between neighbors. The parties concerned have been invited to deal with the situation in a civil manner.
• A deputy investigated a harassment complaint after a Lopez resident reported suspicious activity on her property. The suspect was believed to be retaliating against the victim after the victim posted a trivial comment on a social networking site.
• A Lopez deputy stopped a person driving an all-terrain vehicle on Center Road. The operator was fined for not wearing a helmet; a warning for speeding; and several license and equipment violations involving an ATV on the roadway.
• A deputy investigates a theft report on Orcas.
• An assistant on Orcas was sent in an abandoned vehicle to Eastsound. A 24 hour towing notice was affixed to the window. Two days later, on April 18, the vehicle had not been moved and was impounded.
• The deputies carried out a welfare check of a person on the island of Lopez. The subject has been informed of the available services.
• Orcas MPs answered a welfare check to Eastsound. The person was helped to get in touch with help on the island.
• MEPs have investigated a mail theft on the island of Decatur. The suspects entered an unlocked community mail building and took packages belonging to members of the community.
• A Member of Parliament responded to a Lopez residence with a free dog complaint. The dog’s owner has been located and a report has been made.
• A San Juan MP observed a driver with a suspended license driving a motor vehicle. A probable cause statement will be sent to the prosecutor for indictment.
• San Juan deputies responded to a report of a citizen conflict. The incident was investigated and a report generated.
• The deputy reporter has been contacted about a malicious call. The caller reported that his mailbox was damaged overnight.
• An Orcas deputy has been dispatched to a traffic hazard near Eastsound. The hazard has been located and eliminated.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle because his passenger was not wearing a seat belt. The passenger was ticketed for not wearing a seat belt.
• A San Juan MP arrested a driver for driving with a suspended driver’s license. The driver also received a citation for failing to notify the Licensing Department of a change of address.
• K9 Sheriff’s Deputy Sucia sniffed at the smell of narcotics and alerted a San Juan deputy who then seized the vehicle for a drug investigation.
• At Friday Harbor, the reporting assistant was sent to an unsupervised death. Death seemed natural and a report has been made.
• An Orcas MP issued a ticket to a driver for driving at 55 mph in a 35 mph zone.
• An assistant on Orcas has been dispatched to report a suspicious person to Eastsound. The person was located and assistance was provided.
• An Orcas deputy has been sent to a suspicious recall near Doe Bay.
• An Orcas deputy responded to a call in the Rosario area about a possible violation of the governor’s stay-at-home order. The parties were educated and informed of their rights and also received copies of the order from the San Juan County health worker.
• A deputy was dispatched for a violation of a court order in the Eastsound area. A report has been drawn up and the investigation is ongoing.
• A deputy was dispatched to the sound of guns being heard near Eastsound. When the deputy arrived there was no noise and no one was found nearby.
• A deputy was dispatched to a suspicious call near Eastsound. Everything was found to be OK and in order.
• A San Juan deputy stopped a vehicle because a passenger was hanging out of the window. The passenger was ticketed for not wearing a seat belt.
• A San Juan deputy arrested a driver for driving with a suspended license. The driver was arrested for driving with a third-degree suspended license and issued a citation for not having insurance.
• An Orcas deputy has been sent to a suspicious recall near Westsound. Information has been gathered and a report has been drawn up.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for speeding. The driver was fined for driving at 87 mph in a 45 mph speed zone.
• An assistant on Orcas was dispatched on a residential burglary report. Items from the house were reported missing; the investigation is ongoing.
• An Orcas deputy has been dispatched for a possible intrusion near Map Corner. The suspicious person turned out to be the custodian of the property.
• In San Juan, an MP was contacted about a fraud. The caller reported that his name was being used by someone as a pseudonym.
• A deputy has been contacted regarding a suspicious circumstance. The appellant reported that a contractor had been contacted to demolish one of his rentals by someone from off the island. No losses were incurred and a report was made.
• Members of Parliament were dispatched to a stripped individual in the Eastsound area. The individual was contacted and asked to put on clothes – they did.
• An Orcas deputy was sent to a report of a barefoot woman being chased down the middle of the road by a male subject. It was reported that the woman was dressed minimally. The woman matching the description has been contacted and said no one is chasing her.
• A Lopez MP was called after an old bone was exposed by erosion on an embankment. The bone was collected for further examination.
• A Lopez MP was sent to report loud music at a residence. When the deputy arrived, the music was cut off and people were invited to come around the house.
• A San Juan deputy has been contacted regarding a fishing and game violation in the Stuart Island area. The person reported that someone had shot marine mammals. A report was drawn up and sent to the competent agency.
• A deputy was dispatched on an appeal for property found at a local Eastsound business. The item has been returned to its owner.
• A deputy from San Juan has been dispatched to report a juvenile problem. A minor was arrested for third degree malicious mischief – domestic violence.