- Auckland Lantern Festival 2022 runs from February 10-13 at a new venue – The Auckland Showgrounds.
- Favorite festival features return and new program highlights have been added.
- Demand will be high. Pre-book your tickets from 9am on Monday 24th January at aucklandnz.com/lantern
After a two-year absence due to the pandemic, Auckland’s iconic Lantern Festival roars into the summer calendar from February 10-13, to celebrate the Chinese Year of the Tiger 2022 and the Chinese community in our region.
The Auckland Lantern Festival is New Zealand’s largest cultural festival and this year over 100,000 Aucklanders and visitors are expected to attend the four-day event at the Auckland Showgrounds.
Last held at the Auckland Domain in 2019, the Showgrounds will this year provide the space and facilities for all the traditional Lantern Festival favourites, as well as introducing new highlights and features.
Auckland Unlimited arts, entertainment and events director Richard Clarke says Auckland Lantern Festival 2022 is a major event in the region’s summer calendar, making a much-anticipated return after being canceled two years in a row .
“The Festival team is abuzz and can’t wait to join Auckland’s Chinese community in celebrating Chinese New Year in spectacular fashion at Auckland Showgrounds,”
“So much hard work and mahi went into planning and scheduling the event – from ordering new lanterns to more craft stalls and new features including talks and movies, tours group, an audio-description visit of the lantern pavilion and an extension of the weekend hours. »
In addition, a dynamic and content-rich permanent Lantern Festival program will take place at www.aucklandnz.com/lantern.
The online program will include festival videos, Chinese craft and cooking classes, galleries, playlists and artists, and will be added and developed as a hub accessible to anyone at any time.
Returning favorites in 2022:
- The Lantern Pavilions where more than 800 handmade Chinese lanterns will be illuminated and displayed. Visitors can follow the interior lantern trail and enjoy the themed and imaginary decors that tell the stories of lanterns and Chinese culture.
- Twenty-nine street stalls selling delicious Chinese and Asian dishes, and 13 stalls offering beautiful traditional and contemporary handicrafts and gifts.
- Local artisans will demonstrate traditional Chinese calligraphy, kite making, fan painting and embroidery, and visitors will be able to solve Chinese puzzles.
- A main stage where Auckland’s top New Zealand artists will provide entertainment ranging from Chinese folk, opera and orchestra to modern pop, dance and martial arts.
- Spectacular fireworks at 9:30 p.m. on Sunday evening.
What’s new in 2022:
- Spacious new location, within walking distance of Auckland bus and rail links, with plenty of paid parking.
- A specially created free online content program including videos, galleries, craft guides, festival guide and playlists.
- Extended opening hours on weekends.
- Panels and Discussions: Paid sessions with speakers and panelists from the Asian and New Zealand creative community.
- Film screenings and creative networking opportunities in collaboration with the Pan Asian Screen Collective.
- An audio-description tour of the Lantern Pavilions on Friday 11 February.
- Group reservations on Friday 11 Feb.
Festival tickets are FREE and are essential for entry. They will help with crowd management and contact tracing.
Tickets can be reserved from 9 a.m. on Monday, January 24 at www.aucklandnz.com/lantern.
Demand is expected to be high – people should book early and choose their entry time to avoid disappointment.
A valid My Vaccine pass is also required for everyone attending the event and will be checked at the gate.
The Auckland Lantern Festival is organized by the region’s economic and cultural agency, Auckland Unlimited, on behalf of Auckland Council and supported by founding partner Asia New Zealand Foundation.
© Scoop Media