- You can use calendar templates in Google Docs, but Google doesn’t offer any in its built-in template library.
- Many third-party websites allow you to download calendar templates directly from Google Docs.
- Editing a calendar in Google Docs ensures that you don’t break the underlying table structure that ensures the calendar is formatted.
- Visit Insider’s Technical Reference Library for more stories.
If you’re a long-time Microsoft Office user, you might have worked with one of Microsoft’s predefined calendar templates in Word and assumed you can do the same in Google Docs. And while yes, it’s possible to open a calendar template in Docs, Google doesn’t offer one in its rather limited template library. You’ll need to download one elsewhere – here’s how.
How to use a calendar template in Google Docs
Since Google doesn’t include a calendar template, you need to find another source and then open it in Google Docs. The good news is that many websites offer free calendar templates and make it easy to open files in Google Docs with just one click.
If you want to explore your options, you can search the web using a term such as “calendar template” or “calendar template for Google Docs”. Otherwise, here are three good resources for calendar templates that you can use:
Although the details may vary slightly from site to site, the general process of downloading and using a calendar template in Google Docs will be more or less the same regardless of which third-party site you use. . For example, suppose you want to get a template from Template.net:
1. Browse the site until you find a template you want to edit and customize in Google Docs.
2. Click the template thumbnail, and then on the template details page make sure the selected format is Google Docs.
3. Click on Download now.
4. You will be prompted to sign in to an account; Choose Sign in with google. Once logged in, Google Docs will try to open the template and ask you to make a copy of it. Click on Make a copy.
5. After a while, the template will open in Google Docs and you can start customizing it.
You can now make any changes you want to the calendar template. If you find it difficult to work with, keep in mind that most calendar templates are built in tables so that all items can be formatted correctly. Usually, you’ll want to select small chunks of text (text in a single table cell) and make changes bit by bit. If you select too much text at once, either Google Docs will not allow you to make changes or you will accidentally “break” your calendar formatting. If something is wrong, be sure to click to cancel under the Edit drop-down menu in the toolbar at the top of the page.